The Do’s and Don’ts For Melanin Acne Prone Skin
Melanin-rich skin is beautiful and unique, but it can also come with its own set of challenges, including acne-prone skin. If you have melanin-rich skin, you may find that traditional acne treatments are not effective, and some treatments may even worsen your condition. In this blog, we'll explore the do's and don'ts for people with melanin acne-prone skin, so you can take better care of your skin and reduce the risk of breakouts.
What is acne?
Definition: Acne is a skin condition that occurs when your hair follicles become plugged with oil and dead skin cells. This chronic, inflammatory skin condition can cause whiteheads, blackheads or pimples.
Acne can appear on other areas of the body other than the face. This includes shoulders, back, neck, chest, and upper arms.
Things to remember
- Everyone's skin is different and so are treatment options.
- Don’t pick! This can cause scarring.
- Knowing your skin type and allergies can help you choose the perfect products.
What should you use?
- Aloe vera has antibacterial properties that can help control and reduce acne- causing bacteria. It is also extremely soothing and calming for the skin.
- Tea Tree oil has anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties. Can calm redness, swelling, and inflammation.
- Green tea's anti-inflammatory properties can help reduce skin irritation, skin redness, and swelling.
What should you avoid?
- Synthetic Fragrances can cause irritation and burning. It can also cause more damage to your skin if you are currently experiencing a breakout.
- Coconut Oil - While coconut oil has benefits, if your skin already has too much build up, it can cause more problems than it solves.
- Beeswax can clog pores if there is already excessive build up. It is used in some cosmetics and beauty products.
Use gentle skincare products: Avoid harsh scrubs, exfoliators, and peels that can irritate your skin and cause more acne. Look for gentle products that are specifically formulated for sensitive skin, like those with salicylic acid, glycolic acid, or niacinamide.
Moisturize daily: Moisturizing your skin is essential, even if you have oily skin. Using a lightweight, oil-free moisturizer can help prevent dryness and irritation, which can trigger breakouts.
Use sunscreen: Sun damage can worsen acne and hyperpigmentation. Look for a sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher that is labeled "broad-spectrum," meaning it protects against both UVA and UVB rays.
Stay hydrated: Drinking enough water helps keep your skin hydrated and healthy. Aim for at least eight glasses of water a day.
Cleanse your face twice a day: Cleanse your face with a gentle cleanser twice a day to remove dirt, oil, and makeup. We recommend performing a double cleanse using our Arbria's Facial Cleanser and Arbria Facial Oil Cleanser, Makeup Remover, and Moisturizer. Be gentle and avoid scrubbing or rubbing your skin too hard.
Pick or pop your pimples: Picking or popping your pimples can cause scarring, hyperpigmentation, and even more acne. If you must extract a pimple, do so with clean hands, and use a sterilized extractor tool.
Use harsh products: Harsh products can strip your skin of its natural oils, leading to dryness and irritation. Avoid products with alcohol, fragrances, and sulfates.
Over-exfoliate: Over-exfoliating can lead to skin irritation and inflammation, making acne worse. Limit exfoliation to once or twice a week, and use a gentle exfoliant.
Use heavy makeup: Heavy makeup can clog pores and exacerbate acne. Choose non-comedogenic, oil-free makeup products that won't clog your pores.
Neglect your diet: Your diet can play a role in your skin's health. Eating a balanced diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables can help keep your skin healthy and prevent acne.
Taking care of acne-prone skin can be challenging, but it is achievable with the right skincare regimen. Using gentle products, moisturizing, and protecting your skin from the sun are all crucial steps in managing acne. Additionally, avoiding harsh products, over-exfoliating, and picking at your skin can help prevent breakouts and scarring. By following these do's and don'ts, you can take control of your skin's health and enjoy healthy, glowing skin.
I hope you found this blog helpful. Having an effective skin care ritual can reduce acne symptoms and prevent breakouts from happening. There are no quick fix when it comes to acne. It takes a few months before noticeable changes in your skin. At ARBRIA CREATIONS we encourage a plant based skincare ritual. Get started with our Arbria's Mini Plant Based Facial Ritual, it gives you everything you need to start your skincare ritual.